Dark Sky has announced some major changes which should come as good news for cyclists. As a result of over a year of research and development, they’ve developed a new forecasting model which they claim is much better than the previous model that they were using.
- Their worst-case global resolution has been reduced to about 20km from 40km.
- Forecasts now take into account micro-climates, making temperature forecasts accurate to within < 1km (< 0.7 mi).
- They’ve switched to more a accurate High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) atmostpheric model.
- A completely new, more accurate approach to predicting precipitation probability.
Additionally, Dark Sky has started providing wind gust speed, which is now available in the latest release of Epic Ride Weather:
All of this results in much more accurate forecasts for Epic Ride Weather users. The feedback that I’ve had so far is that wind predictions and temperature forecasts are bang-on. I’d love to hear how these changes work out for you in your part of the world! Send your feedback to David Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Epic Ride Weather takes into account your expected location based on your route and speed, combining multiple forecasts to give you a projection of weather over time and space. Epic Ride Weather is available now for iPhone, iOS and Android.
- Forecast Color Settings
- Cycling, Weather and Cloud Cover
- Epic Ride Weather Sponsors The Weather for Your Event
- Team Jumbo-Visma Extends Sponsorship
- All Articles
subscribe via RSS